Frequently asked questions
Is there a formal program of classes?
There is no formal structured year-long program for students. Our school provides various filmmaking classes and workshops of differing topics. Students may take a single course, or enroll in multiple classes and "piece-meal" or customize their own curriculum focused on their own interests or needs.
Is there a certificate or degree for completed courses?
There is no earned certificate or degree for classes. The biggest incentive for taking the 8 or 10 week filmmaking or screenwriting courses is producing a high quality project, which then can be used for a resume and/or filmmaking reel.
How does one start the process of taking classes with ASoF?
Most filmmaking students start by enrolling in our Introduction to Filmmaking 8 week course. After this fast-paced, information packed course is complete, students then can determine if they wish to continue with more in-depth film education by taking Next Level Filmmaking, or branch out to subjects such as Screenwriting, Sound Recording, Editing, or Lighting. Some classes require a prerequisite or comparable experience, but most do not.
The first step in enrollment is to submit the appropriate Registration Form that corresponds to the class of interest on our website. Within a few days, you then will receive an emailed confirmation and letter giving details on class time, location, payment, and any other relevant information. A $50 non-refundable deposit will be needed to secure the registration, with the balance due by the start of the first class. The deposit will be refunded if the class is cancelled by ASOF for any reason.
Is the $50 registration deposit refundable?
The deposit is NOT refundable if the student/enrollee cancels or doesn't show. However if ASoF cancels the class, students will be refunded, or the deposit can be transferred to another class.
Do you offer tuition assistance or financial aid?
We do not offer tuition assistance or financial aid. However, most classes qualify for a returning student (Alumni) discount of 20%. This discount is effective after the completion of the first class/course, and can be utilized indefinitely. Payment for these discounted classes should be made in person, over the phone, or by mailing a check or money order. Alumni may also qualify for a payment plan- contact us for details.
Starting 2018, there are also options for students to choose either an ASoF Focused plan, or ASoF Intensive plan. Both options offer packages of film classes over 6 or 12 months respectively, which will both save the student money in the long run, and allow for payments to be spread over a longer period. Contact ASoF to learn more.
What resources are in the area for Filmmakers?
We recommend to explore AVL Film.com- A local resource and online compilation for independent and professional filmmakers.
What is your Cancellation Policy for classes/courses?
ASOF Cancellation of a course:
- Students will be refunded the full amount of their deposit or tuition in the event that ASOF cancels a course (ie, due to low enrollment, instructor conflict, weather)
- If a student prefers, they may transfer the paid amount to a different course or rescheduled course, instead of a refund. The transferred amount will expire after one calendar year.
- $50 deposits paid are non-refundable.
- Any amount over the $50 deposit will be fully refundable, up until a week prior to the course. Cancellations in under a week prior to the course, or after the course has started are not eligible for a refund.
- Advanced notification of cancellations are appreciated.
Student Cancellation of a single session/class:
- Students should inform the instructor at least a week prior to the missed session (going out of town, work conflicts, vacation, etc) so that there is an opportunity for the entire class to be contacted. This may allow for complete rescheduling of the session (entire class).
- In the event of an unforeseen illness or family emergency, please CALL or TEXT the instructor directly (not email) ASAP. Make-up sessions (which are voluntary but recommended) will be offered for a fee. The rate will be $40/hour, charged in ½ hour increments. This fee is to cover the hourly rate of the instructor.